Research Resources - All
A variety of research support services are available to assist University of Pittsburgh investigators in advancing their research programs. You can find resources categorically by choosing one of options below or search the entire directory through the keyword search option.
To submit updates, or to request the addition of a resource, please contact Paul Wood at email@example.com or (412) 648-9618.
For Pitt Biomedical Research Facilities' web site search.
View Resources by Category
Center for Research Computing (CRC)
Contact information for the CRC staff members can be found at https://crc.pitt.edu/people/
The mission of the Center for Research Computing is to increase the impact and productivity of Pitt researchers through the use of advanced computing. We fulfill this mission by
- providing our community access to cutting-edge computer hardware and software for enabling transformative research,
- providing our community training workshops to educate users how to utilize the computing resources effectively,
- providing extended personalized consultation for improving researchers’ computational workflow and code performance through selection of better algorithms, parallelization techniques, improved use of input-output strategies, etc. We can also assist in grant proposals, justifying the requested computational hardware or personnel support.
An overview of CRC resources can be found at https://crc.pitt.edu/documentation/overview-to-crc-resources/
Hardware computing resources include SMP, GPU, MPI_OPA, and MPI_IB clusters and a High Throughput Computing (HTC) cluster designed for Health Sciences Research. Multiple data storage options are available, each consisting of hundreds of terabytes.
Center for Research on Health Care, Data Center
The CRHC Data Center mission is to support University of Pittsburgh faculty members in conducting high-quality clinical and translational research at the University of Pittsburgh. To meet this objective, the CRHC Data Center provides data management, statistical analysis, and graphics services to all University investigators.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) developed guidelines (Title 21 CFR Part 11) for electronic records to ensure the integrity and reliability of the electronic data; the CRHC Data Center creates databases that are compliant with these FDA guidelines.
Center for Simulation and Modeling (SAM)
The former Center for Simulation and Modeling (SaM) is now part of the Center for Research Computing (CRC).
For more information please see the CRC entry in this database or go to www.crc.pitt.edu
Clinical and Translational Science Institute(CTSI)
The mission of the Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) at the University of Pittsburgh is to improve the efficiency with which biomedical advances translate to improvements in the health of the community. CTSI is transforming the process of clinical and translational research through the provision of research and educational resources, thus training and enabling scientists to generate and translate new biomedical knowledge.
- Research Participant Registry
- Regulatory Core
- Clinical and Translational Research Center
- Design Biostatistics and Ethics Core
Clinical Research Informatics Service (CRIS)
The Clinical Research Informatics Service (CRIS) is a service of the Office of Clinical Research, Health Sciences. CRIS provides honest broker services for University of Pittsburgh faculty; an honest broker serves as a disinterested intermediary between the researcher and the individual whose data are being studied. The use of the honest broker ensures that the investigator is not interacting with those individuals nor recording any identifiable information about them.
This service allows clinical researchers to obtain relevant data and analysis tools from UPMC databases. CRIS can also assist with identification of anonymized potential research subjects or records using the Medical Archival Retrieval System (MARS).
Epidemiology Data Center
The Epidemiology Data Center (EDC) provides a research environment in which complex health questions can be explored and answered using the combined tools of biology and statistics. The EDC establishes collaborations with clinical researchers to design, conduct, and analyze multi-center randomized clinical trials and epidemiologic studies. To contribute to the development of new knowledge, the EDC develops and refines data collection, data management, computing, and statistical methods, with the ultimate goal of advancing treatment and prevention of disease.
The EDC has collaborated in over 100 research studies sponsored by the National Institutes of Health and other agencies. At any given time the EDC coordinates data management and analysis activities for 20 to 30 research projects sponsored by federal agencies as well as by industry. The current studies represent a variety of scientific designs including clinical trials, registries, and case control studies.
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center provides university, government, and industrial researchers with access to several of the most powerful systems for high-performance computing, communications and data-handling available to scientists and engineers nationwide for unclassified research. PSC advances the state-of-the-art in high-performance computing, communications and informatics and offers a flexible environment for solving the largest and most challenging problems in computational science. As a leading partner in XSEDE, the National Science Foundation program of coordinated cyberinfrastructure for education and research, PSC works with its XSEDE partners to harness the full range of information technologies to enable discovery in U.S. science and engineering.
Statistics Consulting Center
The Center for Statistics offers statistical consulting services, including design, data summarization, analysis, and interpretation of results. Researchers from various disciplines (within the arts and sciences, as well as clinical research and education) are welcome. Typically, only short-term consulting projects can be undertaken. The consulting is done by graduate students under the supervision of faculty members in the Department of Statistics.
University Center for Social and Urban Research
The University Center for Social and Urban Research (UCSUR) was established in 1972 to serve as a resource for researchers and educators interested in the basic and applied social and behavioral sciences. As a hub for interdisciplinary research and collaboration, UCSUR promotes a research agenda focused on the social, economic, and health issues most relevant to our society.
UCSUR maintains a permanent research infrastructure available to faculty and the community with the capacity to:
- Conduct all types of survey research, including complex Web surveys
- Carry out regional econometric modeling
- Analyze qualitative data using state-of-the-art computer methods
- Obtain, format, and analyze spatial data
- Acquire, manage, and analyze large secondary and administrative data sets including Census data
- Design and carry out descriptive, evaluation, and intervention studies
- Provide information technology services for the collection, management, and analysis of sensitive research data to assure the highest levels of security and privacy.
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute (UPCI)
For a complete listing of research resources available as part of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute (UPCI), please link to the UPCI Shared Resources web page.
- Animal Facility
- Biobehavioral Oncology Facility
- Biostatistics Facility
- Cancer Bioinformatics Services
- Cancer Genomics Facility
- Cancer Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics Facility
- Cancer Proteomics Facility (Mass Spectrometry, Luminex)
- Cell and Tissue Imaging Facility
- Chemical Biology Facility
- Cytometry Facility (Analytical cytometry, Flow cytometry, Imaging cytometry, FACS )
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Laboratory
- Immunologic Monitoring and Cellular Products Laboratory
- In Vivo Imaging Facility
- Investigational Drug Services
- Tissue and Research Pathology Services